The Real Story Behind Hello Kitty! - Anita's Notebook

• DO YOU LIKE STORIES?

• About This Blog

A picture of Anita Wirawan in Seattle, Washington.

My name is Anita Wirawan and I love stories :).
    ----
    Stories can: make you smile -- show a deeper meaning behind something -- or even change your life.
    ----
    I started this blog in 2008 after my brother Jody died & over the years it's become my notebook for stories.

My mission is to find the best stories to share with you.
    ----
    So go ahead... look around and read some stories!

If you have questions or comments, text (909) 264-8248 or email me using the form below...

Yes I will answer :) just make sure you put in your email address:

• **What are people saying about the stories on Anita's Notebook??**

Love the stories I've read so far,can't wait for another one!
    -Melissa N

---

THIS IS SUCH AN AWESOME STORY!!!!!!!!!!!
    -Jami

---

hey anita this story was mind blowing and scary .I n my friends freaked out after reading this story ,awesome job man !!!!!!!
    -shylin,rani,shagufa

---

i wanted to thank you for all of your amazing stories.
    -Paniz S

i couldn't choose one so i chose all they were all gr8
    -Karina C

---

I love it honey....stuff like that makes me tear up every time...it just goes to show the bond of siblings no matter how much they agree and disagree.
    -Tonja H

---

This is much more believable then that stupid rugrats theory thanks for putting the truth out there :-D
    -Ivy S

---

Haaiiii (: i just started reading your blog, you are amazing :o!^___^ lol
    -Angie M

---

that was soo scary ^ ^ those red eyes gave me the creeps lol
    -Afifa

---

I like more stories as it's near Halloween. I find them quite interesting while I'm in bed for the night. Keep up the good work
    -Tracey C

---

That was an awesome story personaily i love slender man so this story just made my day
    -Evie M

---

i read all of ur stories lol i just love scary stories ^ ^
    -Lolenta

---

I enjoyed the article about Hello kitty's history. I learned many things throughout this article and had a few laughs as well.
    -Charity M

---

I love this story, I love to read your storys before I go to sleep its very exciting and it just makes me wanna read more and more ... Anita, I love your stories just keep them coming. :)
    -Crystal

---

This is a beautiful and heartwarming story. Thanks!
    -Cameron

---

Loved both stories the scary one nd the boy with the coins nd mean waitress :) cant wait for more stories :D
    -Ashley

---

i liked it! can you send me all your new storys plz
    -lilyanna

WOW I LOVE THIS TRUE STORY
    -Doralina P

---

Hope you post more scary stories. :D, Loved this! Now we all just need a campfire and some smores :D
    -Sheena

---

it helps me to just come here and look up stories. it also helps me past the time by when im not tending to childern. i loved the story of bloody mary. its my favorite thing to read about. so thank you for puting up this notebook.
    -Desiray M

---

I like this better than the more "traditional" Cinderella stories, frankly.
    -StumbleBum

---

Hi Anita, So this isn't a question, but I recently saw your posts about the Hey Arnold! truth and then, about the Rugrats truth. I just wanted to say thank you writing these posts. I have been wondering the real stories for a long time, hoping that the "truths" I kept reading about were untrue. And now I know they are. You saved my childhood=o) Also, I love stories too=o)
    -Kira

---

The stories you've posted so far have really fueled my interest in legends
    -Joyce S

---

Lovely. Last night I read it, as if I'm a child. The more I read the more I was delighted. I wanted that this be real :). Thank you, I love this.
    -Lizbeth W

---

Oh my god , this is so weird i been looking for answers like this for many years thank you! : )
    -Janyah

---

More STORIES PLEASE ! I love them !!!
    -Brianna C

---

I have been reading your stories for a long time and you have inspired me to look further in to things than just the obvious. you have made my life so interesting, THANK YOU. (:
    -Kate

DO *YOU* LIKE STORIES?

*The Real Story Behind Hello Kitty!*

A cartoon drawing of the cat Hello Kitty by Sanrio.

Hello Kitty, the iconic white cat with a red bow, dots for eyes, and absent mouth that is mysteriously cute as hell. I used to be into Hello Kitty stuff big time when I was a kid (Hello Kitty stationary and pencil boxes ftw) and still buy Hello Kitty stuff from time to time even now.

If you think about it though it’s amazing that something can be so universally popular yet the average buyer of Hello Kitty merchandise doesn’t have a clue as to what it’s about or what the story behind it is.

HELLO KITTY, HOMAGE TO …THE DEVIL?

In some cases urban legends have stepped in to fill the void of information and you’ll find people out there saying things like the whole Hello Kitty line of toys is the work of the Devil.

Oh you didn’t know? Hello Kitty was apparently started when a mother of a child dying of cancer made a pact with the Lord Of The Underworld ™. If The Devil spared her child’s life then in return she would start a toy company that payed homage to him. Makes sense right? I mean who wouldn’t look at Hello Kitty stuff and not think ‘homage to the Devil’?

Another surprisingly depressing urban legend says that Hello Kitty was first drawn by a child of an abusive parent. According to this legend she drew the cat without a mouth because she wanted a character to confide in that couldn’t tell about the abuse and get her in trouble.

But what’s the real story behind Hello Kitty and seriously what’s up with the mouth thing?

FIVE APPLES TALL
A picture of the first Hello Kitty coin purse made by Sanrio.
Hello Kitty first came into being in the 70’s when a then new company called Sanrio needed to come up with a merchandise mascot that would appeal to the preteen girl demographic.

They commissioned an artist to work on the project and she came up with a drawing of a white Japanese Bobtail cat that had a red bow in it’s hair and was wearing blue overalls. You can see the original Hello Kitty concept on the coin purse in the picture above, which was the first Hello Kitty product ever.

A whole back story for Hello Kitty was created, which is basically this:

Hello Kitty is actually a nickname for Kitty White, who is not Japanese but actually British and lives in London with her family.

She has a twin sister named Mimmy. The only way you can tell the two apart is by their bows, Hello Kitty wears a red bow and Mimmy wears a yellow one.

She is in the third grade but when school’s out she travels the world making new friends. She is bright, kind-hearted, and loves the outdoors.

Favorite food: apple pie. Favorite word: friendship (of course). Height: five apples tall. Had enough cute yet lol?

But why doesn’t she have a mouth?

HAPPY OR SAD TOGETHER
A giant pink Hello Kitty house.

The Hello Kitty character was deliberately designed without a mouth because the lack of that visual cue makes it easier for people to project their own feelings on to the cartoon. Or as one author put it ‘the person can be happy or sad together with Hello Kitty’.

The irresistible vortex of cuteness that is Hello Kitty eventually built Sanrio a multi-billion dollar empire that includes a wide range of products and even theme parks.

Hello Kitty has developed a highly devoted following around the world, even inspiring a new word to come into existence: kitira, it means someone who is a devoted follower of Hello Kitty. Ha take that, Devil.

HIT THE LIKE BUTTON? :)

GOT COMMENTS? Let me know what you think :)
Write your thoughts below or text (909) 264-8248 .

1,433 Comments  »

1. krudler says:

Well, Anita, if you weren’t going to hell already, this worshipping of false idols would’ve definitely put you at the front of the line.

I’m shocked, shocked I say! That cat is clearly satanic. And enslaving millions of little girls with its’ lifeless stare…

Yeah right!

Everyone knows the REAL story of Hello Kitty is that an extremely lazy (some say drunk) toy designer was under deadline pressures when he submitted this incomplete work. He had dripped special sauce on the page, and that’s why the cat has the red bow – to cover up the stain. Distracted by the stain, he totally forgot about the mouth. The owner was touched by what he thought was a tribute to his wife who was born without lips as a result of her mother eating too many pickles during pregnancy. And the rest, as they say, is history.

ur fuckin retared rotflmao

• hellokitty295 says:

ur fuken retarded

• hellokitty295 says:

srry that story is so sad

• Anonymous says:

yup it is y would anyone make a pact or watever with the devil we should have keot the real story secret imagine parents telling their children real story they r gonna be dissapointed how sad n the hello kitty is a famous kitty emo kitty n all that stuff u telling ur chilren who n y they created hello kitty not good idea youll proably creep them out

YEA

OMG

• Anonymous says:

wtf i bet u this isint real cuz my friend told me that the dreee her cuz the was a women who ask god to hepl her with her daughter who had cansure in her mouth and that god didnt help her so she asked the devil to hepl her but in return she had to make a figher that represted him that wat ib her kk

• HelloKittyNerd215 says:

She never said that the whole “devil” story was real. MAYBE YOU WOULD KNOW IF YOU COULD READ!!!

• Paola says:

I feel so bad for her children, I agree with you

• Justice says:

hello kitty is awsome i collect hello kitty things so hello kitty so awsome

• Pika says:

Satan isnt bad. He cured a kid of cancer! And in return we have Hello Kitty in his honour! :D

• dua says:

NA MAN DON’T BELIVE THIS SHE IS LIEING

• Anonymous says:

no i beleve hello kitty is real dude no this is real story about hello kitty

• Anonymous says:

this is real shit i got to tell my cuz she luvs hello kitty now iv got to warn her

• emily says:

true

how would yew knoe

• myob!!! says:

you wrote liying wrong i think i did two!!! lolzz hahahah!!!

• meme says:

baby boo this is real so get it stright

• Lil shawtie831 says:

youhh really neva know if ihts really true, not til you inform youh’r self correctly i dont really beleive this at all…. i like hello kitty and yeah the story mught be true about the child and her mouth but it dosent mean ihts nececairly about the devil like people plese if it were to be the devil all children would be wild in a way….. :: you relly neva knoe maybie iht another myth::

• A'nya says:

i feel ya!

• secret says:

i lik hello kitty even if she is the devil or not

• JASMIN says:

SAME HERE I DONT CARE WHAT SHE IS BUT SHE IS CUTE NO MATTER WHAT’S WRONG WITH HER<33

• Charrise says:

Your crazy since u still like hello kitty

• katrin says:

i cant belive u dont care even if is devil….one day ll be day that god ll come to u ane open ur eyes

• sofiee♥ says:

ii agree with like my mom she is all christian and shit and she is always like im not gonna buy youh hello kitty stuff cusz its the devils! im like wo cares if tis devilish or not mom i like so fuck it and she be like well you are gonna be punished by God and shit so its like mom i dont give if its devilish or not i like it! end of discussion … /.\

• Loral says:

This is not real they just do this to make hello kitty a bad but it is not

• Awesome says:

Actually I really don’t believe in the satan thing but I also don’t like hello kitty so much soo to me it is just a mist

• syrenide says:

yeah srry :(

haha ikr xD hahahahahahahahahah

• emily says:

u are like five and u probly cant say that to heer face

• um. hi. this is Satan. i just wanted to say that i dont enjoy you guys making fun of me. it hurts my feelings! and hello kitty is something i would never create. and just becuase im. THE DEVIL doesnt mean i dont have feelings thanx :D

• gerrial says:

i love hello kitty so much with all my heart.kevenisha,and i love hello kitty with all our heart.but this is for kevenisha rice she is my bestfriend/sister.

love,
            gerrial diane matthews

• xiomara says:

dont play with that is bad u are gonnq go to HELL im like 4real

• jasmine says:

fuck i tried to tell my friend she is a big fan her room is all hello kitty her backpack her shirts she has evreything i told her she didn’t beleive me so to bad to the people who don’t beleive thanks mom for saying she is from the devil i know is so hard to beleive that she is from the devil im was a big fsn but not any more and i feel bad for the mom so sad

• f3nyx says:

Yeah, the devil story is absolutly fake…. you people would belive anything :S

• vickku says:

hello kitty is evil

• marianna says:

dude its called language use why dont you watch it :P

• Anonymous says:

LMAO WOW U MUST BE SMOKIN SOME GOOD ONE its a design nottin to do with the devil or anytin els what r u freakin 5 years old that belive anytin they hear… GROW UP!

• ROXIE says:

IKR WHY WOULD SHE BE FROM DA DEVIL

• Marlene says:

ha..She’ll grow up wen u grow a pair dnt speak if u dnt know unless ur positive about it every1 has their own beliefs nd religions and ur noone to judge what they believe

• america says:

dood…i agree with you why would anyone tell people about that? cause if that was true no one would buy! she is obviously a design.(notice the period lol)

• april says:

o atleast some 1 agrees

• britt says:

well like yall said some people believe it & ‘ some people dont so of course the people who dont believe it would still buy hello kitty stuff & ‘ people who do believe wont. Everyone has their own opinion & ‘ beliefs so just drop it !

• Marcela says:

You Are So Pathetic !
      & it’s A Waste Of Time To Lie About that
      Its An Adorable Little Kitty , So I Suggest You Stop Hating
      And Trying To Be Different (:

• Anonymous says:

It’s sad to know that people are so lost in the corrupted world that we have become scared of every minuscule thing. Now, even a mouthless white cat in the form of a cartoon is satanic, evil, symbol of the devil, blah, blah, blah. I’m not one to judge but come on people. IT’S A CARTOON!! We should be petrified when we think about the government and how much it controls us. We need to stop being so dependent on what others say and learn to form our own opinions based on our own research. Stop being so gullible people and have faith in the only powerful being: God.

• april says:

u now ur right god is the only being we should believe in hes our dad we should be talking about positive stuff & not any nagative shit that is not real

• Angel_16 says:

Im right with you but one thing that im soooooo against is the way you sayd that it’s just a cartoon, even though its a cartoon, many cartoons have their hidings hiden behind them some are demonic and people dont realize that unitll they truly know was the story like an example Barney might look sweet and fuuny but the guy that makes Barney actually he makes contact with the devil and by using him its the only way he can grab people’s attention so the devil can have more slaves to his world….. with hello kitty is the same story it can have the demonic symbol or it represents a symbol but when it comes to the devil nobody plays around with him once somebody is in the side of him your a slave of him already and the one that can reveal the truth is God is teh powerful God of all and there can be no other one that is more powerful than him……….Satanwas a good angel that in the glory house of God but once Satan wanted to be more than God is when God decided to send him in the underworld and is when he started to make symbolism so he can grab people and take him to his world……God is trying to saves us from him so we can have an everlasting life beside him and not with satan…………so people be careful satan canbe anybody and trying to grab us by using cute images like Hello Kitty………..

• MarcTheBeast says:

Are people really this stupid and paranoid? Oh my goodness people can’t even create shoe without it being secretly from the devil. It’s the people that actually believe this crap are the ones to worry about.

• Lily says:

I get what you’re saying but at the same time the world has become so corrupted and there are things out there that you would never think to have a demonic meaning behind them because the world has become ok with them they come across as ok, something as sweet looking as a cute little kitty cat you would think couldn’t come across as something demonic because of the world’s perspective on it, and really it shouldn’t come across like that but there are people out there that think like that and so maybe Hello Kitty isn’t like that but really you nor anyone else knows any different and as far as researching you can’t believe anything on the internet or books any more because things have become so built up with lies, not everything but some things, like this is becoming built up on nothing but lies and no one knows any different except for the one who actually came up with it

• Yazmin says:

bravo

• Anonymous says:

well u guys shouldnt judge ! all those stories are LEGENDS dosent mean their necesarillly TRUE

• anonymous says:

well first of all i believe hello kitty is satanic but believe wat you want to believe i dont judge you you dont judge me but i bet everyhone does and so what no one knows wether she is satanic or not maybe shes just a regular doll who the hell knows only the creator does and i bet each one you people have boughten a hello kitty toy so who the hell are you to judge.

• sammy says:

I don’t care, don’t have anything hello kitty”ish”….. it lookz lame to me

• emily says:

rudeee

• non says:

its just clear that the bible says one of the 10th COMMANDMENT THY SHALL NOT MAKE ANY IDOLS FOR YOUR SELF EXODUS 20:4-6 AND PEOPLE TEND TO TAKE THAT TO ANOTHER LEVEL NOT JUST WITH HELLO KITTY BUT BY BUYING EVERYTHING OF THAT SUBJECT OR SO FORTH IT BECOMES IDOLITRY…. WHAT EVER THE STORY TRUE OR FALSE NO ONE KNOW BUT I BELIVE IN A LIVING GOD WHO WILL PUT ALL IN TO ACCOUNT HOUSE FULL OF DOLFINS AND CHICKENS AND OTHER THINGS AS WELL THEY CALL IT COLLECTABLES.

• reagan says:

I disagree…this is why you can have things that you like and a bunch of em its called HOARDING….if you worship them that makes it idolizing them…..but a person can collect things its not going against gods commandments…thats silly

• Youaintapreacher says:

non, you’re INSANE!! Hello-Kitty is not meant to be an idol and collecting her stuff ain’t a sin.

• Odalisaurr says:

Noo. it is Tru

• FAtima Granja says:

better than Anita’s story…

• Anita says:

Lol!! Hear that Krudler? According to my comments box this person was replying to your comment: http://anitasnotebook.com/2011/02/the-real-story-behind-hello-kitty.html#comment-5294

You have a new fan in the Hello Kitty comments section. :D

• HI ITS ME says:

Im 11 and me and my friends love Hello Kitty. We used to think it was for little kids but we love her. I just got 2 Hello Kitty shirts and a Bathing suit. We were wondering what Hello Kitty stands for.

• Anita says:

“Hi It’s Me”,

Hello Kitty stands for anything you want her to stand for, but mainly the company that made her wanted her to stand for cuteness and whatever mood you are in at the moment. That’s why they made her without a mouth, so that it would be easier for people to imagine her with a smile or whatever they were feeling at the time. And don’t worry Hello Kitty is for people of any age :).

• ^this guy (op) says:

XDDD sucessfull troll is sucessfull. so much win here

• hello says:

i think that eating to much pickles is weird

• Aly&Jesse says:

now hearing so many versions of the making of Hello Kitty,i dont really believe any in particular,only God knows if its right,but i have to say,this version of Hello Kitty connected to thee Devil,is pretty ridiculous
      ~Jesse

• booba says:

I wont say that the things that anita wrote are true, (who am i to say whats the truth)

But to believe in the so called REAL story is a bit naive aswell, (jmho)

I realy doubt that a serious buisness man with profit on his mind would hire a drunk disigner to do a job.
      You have our plan layd out and then you just go pick a diseigner who hapens to be a drunk.. hmmmmm
      the whole stain incident that lead to the red bow that then lead to the no mouth..
      then the pickles that were the cause of an infant with no lips?
      sounds like a bad excuse to cover something up.
      reminding him of his wive that had no lips would just do fine.

omly my 2 cents

respect to all

• Redmiss says:

this is exactly the same story i heard many years ago.

• Anonymous says:

I believe u krudler. It makes no sense for that’s story to be true but I believe Ur’s

• Squeakythatsme says:

This here I totally like. Now this is funny ass hell!!!

• Deniali Smith says:

Hi my name is deniali smith and i have a question to ask u but how is hellokitty the sign of the devil. That does not make any since to me. I am a really big hellokitty fan. I have almost everything hellokitty in my room. I dont worship to the devil or anything or any false idols. I actually attend a catholic school and i pray to Jesus not anything else. Plus how do u no that hellokitty is the sign of the devil they make it for little kids.

• Hi Deniali,

Don’t worry Hello Kitty is not from the devil. Some rumors have started to appear about the origins of Hello Kitty, but the devil story is just an urban legend and the Sanrio story is the correct one.

So really Hello Kitty is only a symbol of the devil if someone personally feels that way, just like almost anything can be a symbol of the devil (or a symbol of something good as well) if someone believes it. I’d say for most people Hello Kitty is a symbol of super cuteness lol and it sounds like you feel the same way.

• diva says:

i belive it but i dont belive what the person befor me says u can never belive anyone but i was just wondering cause i heard a story 3 weeks ago and my sisiter got something hello kitty and i wrote the name down and if u take out the o in HELLO and the y out of KITTY dont u think their is something mysterious about that

• GamerGirl says:

i know another reason she dosent have a mouth…

• Annonomus says:

My friend said that the devil was inside her so i looked this up and this makes way more sense then the whole story about the devil cursing a little girl unless she drew a cartoon with no mouth or she could’t talk.

• Justice says:

i feel bad for hello kitty

• alaysha says:

Omg my friend Sheccid told me that but I didn’t believe her . Thanks y’all

• King says:

Are you sure where did you get the information

• Hi says:

Will u guy just stop cridisizing
      I mean who knows if it’s true or
      Not but don’t take it out on her

• Heavens _kitty says:

I love hello kitty and she is very nice yall talkin bout the devil I don’t really care what ppl say She is freaking cute and amazing if u read the second story u will see that it is notin about a devil :D

• Heavens _kitty says:

lol this story is so funny I love how u get creative with it

• jami says:

lol you’re one of those false rumors believers the ones who believed the rumor about walt disney’s head XD

2. Anonymous says:

That is not true

3. Nicol says:

That is not real

4. Anita says:

Don’t worry guys, Krudler is just joking :).

5. bocuenta says:

Ofcourse it’s true you losers.
    You guys need some information!
    You are all lost !